Re: Radeon 9000 If (RV250), Mac G4 (Wintunnel) problems with XFree86

On Fri, 2003-05-30 at 11:52, Simon Urbanek wrote:
> I have several problems with the ATI Radeon drivers in XFree on my Mac G4
> Windtunnel (dual 1.4GHz).

> 2) In all configurations colors are completely wrong
> 3) closing X blanks all monitors
>
> I have tested following versions of XFree86:
> Debian sid "officail" 4.2.1

Isn't expected to work with this.

> Michel Daenzer's 4.2.1 DRI build

4.2.1? Haven't you tried my current packages for sid?

> Debian "inoffical" 4.3.0
> latest CVS build (by myself) as of yesterday (4.3.99...)
>
> The first two worked even worse (no image at all), so in the following I'll
> refer to the later two which produce exactly the same results.
>
> Problem 1)
> I have a TMDS flat panel (DVI-D) on the DVI port of the card and an analog
> flat panel on the ADC port (via ADC2VGA cable). Both panels get correctly
> detected (see attached log file), but the analog one gets no signal after X
> is started.
>
> Option "MonitorLayout" "CRT, TMDS" doesn't help (nothing really changes, since
> both monitors get correctly detected even wihtout this). I tried all tricks I
> could think of, but the analog one (on the ADC port) gets no signal (even
> after X closes).
>
> Funny enough, using a DVI2VGA adapter and analog input of the *digital* panel
> causes both panels to work - i.e. changing the mode of the *panel that works*
> causes the other one to start working as well. This means that "CRT, CRT"
> combination works. It is really annoying since I have a digital panel and I
> don't want to run it in analog mode which sucks.

Have you looked at the code for how the type of one head might have an
influence on the other one?

> Probelm 2)
> No matter what combination (dual or single head) the colors are always wrong.
> This is independent of the depth used (every time differently "wrong" colors
> of course).
>
> I analyzed it for the 24-bit mode for the digital panel. Although 24-bit mode
> is enabled (and the server uses 4-bytes per pixel see log below), in fact
> only 3x4=12 bits are used. I wrote a small proggy that writes directly to the
> frame buffer and the sequence to set RGB colors (each 4 bit) is 0x00G0RB00
> (beware, Macs are big-endian), that is 0x00f00000 is fully saturated green,
> 0x0000f000 fully saturated red etc.

Hmm, sounds like the palette is programmed incorrectly.

Hui Yu or Kevin E. Martin might know more about these problems, but I'm
not sure if they're reading either of these lists. You could file a bug
to the XFree86 bugzilla.

> Problem 3)
> Shutting down X blanks both screens - i.e. the frame buffer is not correctly
> restored. This is somewhat painful since after closing X you can access the
> box via ssh only.
>
> Other relevant info:
> kernel is 2.4.20-ben10 (the devel versions crash), frame buffer works only
> with "video=ofonly".

Have you reported radeonfb not working to Benjamin Herrenschmidt or the
linux-fbdev-devel list? It may also a bug in the radeon driver that it
doesn't restore the console mode correctly though.

PS: Posting once is enough...