Newbie problems

Hi everybody,

I just installed Debian on my iBook2 and i'm running into a few problems about which i have a question. I'm quite new to Linux administration although i've been on the user end for quite some time. My first problem is that the Sound does not work, a /dev/dsp exists but i don't know what to do next to get my sound working, during the yaboot installation i left the kernel-mod settings the same. Secondly i cannot open my CDdrive anymore typing eject /cdrom does not work because nothing's mounted at /cdrom. Any pointers/hints are apreciated.

TIA,
Jule

ps. is installing Debian on a Compaq Presario a good idea? i have an old one lying around, but i'm not sure what kind of hardware troubles i might run into knowing Compaq et al.