Re: problem with powermac 8600

On Thu, 2003-04-17 at 11:00, samuel desseaux wrote:
> Le Jeudi 17 Avril 2003 10:23, Benjamin Herrenschmidt a écrit :
> > On Wed, 2003-04-16 at 20:50, samuel desseaux wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > I've just installed Debian on my powermac 8600. No problems during the
> > > installation but, when i reboot and want to execute a command, i  have
> > > the following message
> > >
> > > "Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address C88000000
> > > (error 42000000)"
> >
> > What kernel are you using , what boot method ? And what additional
> > hardware (PCI cards) do you have in the machine ?
> >
> > Ben.
>
> the kernel:2.4

Can you be more precise ? What version with what patches ? Where does
it come from exactly ?

> boot method: quick
> there's two ethernet cards , graphic card, sound card: that's all

Hrm... Boot via quik should work fine. Can you try to remove some PCI
cards and see if that helps ? Could be a problem with one of the
drivers ...
Also make sure you strip the vmlinux file before giving it to quik,
that beast is quite sensitive about having to deal with a too large
binary. You problem could be a corrupted kernel binary in memory.

Ben.