Re: xfree 4.3.0

On Sam, 2003-04-12 at 07:33, Beni wrote:
> On Freitag, April 11, 2003, at 10:34  Uhr, Michel Dänzer wrote:
>
> > On Fre, 2003-04-11 at 19:38, Beni wrote:
> >
> >> When I tried to do a "make includes" after the "make clean" in the
> >> sourcetree of the xfree-source I got the following Errors:
> >>
> >> make -f xmakefile includes
> >> make[1]: xmakefile: No such file or directory
> >> make[1]: *** No rule to make target `xmakefile'.  Stop.
> >> make: *** [includes] Error 2
> >>
> >> I tried to do the whole thing on the ben10 kernel...
> >>
> >> Should there be a File called "xmakefile" ? Suppose yes, but there
> >> isnt such a file listed in
> >> ftp.xfree86.org/pub/xfree86/4.3.0/source/FILES
> >>
> >> Does anyone know what to do? (I need the new server because I need the
> >> nvidia geforce3 support for my G4 Silver Mac)
> >
> > You don't need to build it yourself though:
> >
> > http://penguinppc.org/~daniels/README
>
> I know this Page, but since I have woody running on my machine I cab't
> get it from there because the woody backport has only one compiled for
> for i386. So, suppose I want to compile it what am I doing wrong?

You're compiling the upstream source and thus asking for trouble. :)
Even once you've managed to build it, you're likely to mess up your
XFree86 installation and possibly even more of your system when you make
install. It might be better for you and others in the same situation if
someone built these packages for woody instead. I'd do it, if it wasn't
for my constant lack of time... anyone?

Another possibility would be upgrading to testing and xserver-xfree86
4.3.0 from above.