Re: keymaps

Frank Murphy wrote:

On Friday 11 April 2003 1:57, Zeno Davatz wrote:
Frank Murphy wrote:
Are you in X or on the console?
I am in X.

OK. The console-data package only applies to the console keyboard. Check your console keyboard by doing the following:

Leave X and go to the console by pressing <ctrl>-<alt>-<f1>.
You should go to a text-mode login. Login as you there.
Start vim, press 'i' to go to insert mode
Now try to type the extra characters.
(these characters won't show up in bash unless you add a .inputrc to your account. See /etc/inputrc for a description of what you need.)

I get the öäüéàè but I do not get the |@~ on the right place. I already got these before as well.

At the moment I do not have a .inputrc in my ~ directory.

So, if that works, it means that your console is properly configured, but X isn't. (This will modify your XF86Config-4 file, so make a backup if you have modified it by hand.) Otherwise, reconfigure X like so:

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

This gives me:
debconf: Unknown template field '_description', in stanza #26 of /var/lib/dpkg/info/xserver-xfree86.templates

debconf: Unknown template field '_description', in stanza #27 of /var/lib/dpkg/info/xserver-xfree86.templates

debconf: Unknown template field '_description', in stanza #28 of /var/lib/dpkg/info/xserver-xfree86.templates

debconf: Unknown template field '_description', in stanza #29 of /var/lib/dpkg/info/xserver-xfree86.templates

debconf: Unknown template field '_description', in stanza #30 of /var/lib/dpkg/info/xserver-xfree86.templates

debconf: Unknown template field '_description', in stanza #31 of /var/lib/dpkg/info/xserver-xfree86.templates

I never had this error before.

Why would I get that. Normally it works.

thanks for your time and feedback.

Zeno