Re: comparing x86 and powerpc laptops

On 9 Apr 2003, florian wrote:

> i know that you cant really measure the overall performance in mhz. but
> after all i think its for sure that a 1ghz powerbook would not be as
> fast as a 2ghz x86 laptop, or?

...and on top of this, is it the case the gcc does more optimisation
voodoo for x86-like architectures than it does for PowerPC?

I currently own an iBook2, and have often wondered if it would have been a
better plan to go for a laptop with support for `multimedia' activities
(e.g. Altivec in a G4), and also whether I would have a copy of gcc that
would allow me to take advantage of such hardware.

Ed