Re: RS6000 model 44p 170

On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 11:43:46AM +0100, Michael Cameron wrote:
> I'm looking for help installing linux on this system.  I have seen many
> howto's but I do not have a boot server so can't apply them directly.  I've
> got a set of debian 3.0r1 CD's and tried using SMS to change the boot order
> to boot from them but it just went straight to AIX (I saw no error
> messages).  I then tried creating boot floppies (using dd under AIX) but the
> same happened when booting.  I then tried using SMS to get to Open Firmware
> (of which I know very very little) and tried a variety of "boot" commands.
> All resulted in "Unrecognized Client Program format" and "state not valid"
> messages.
>
> Should the debian cd image created from
> debian-30r1-powerpc-binary-1_NONUS.iso be bootable?
> If so, how do I convince SMS to boot from it?
> If not how should I create a boot floppy that will work and how do I get SMS
> to boot that?

AIUI, it's the kernel that's the main problem. The kernels in the
Debian archive don't work. Try downloading the kernel referenced
by Rolf's HOWTO, and replacing both linux.bin and rescue.bin in
the CD-ROM image with that. I don't think the CD is auto-bootable,
but you might be able to boot it from the console. No one recently,
AFAIK, has had success with floppies.

http://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/inst/prep

(Let me know if this page can be updated.)

--
http://Www.TruthAboutWar.org

Chris Tillman
- Linux Rox -