Re: Debian with Mac.

Björn Johansson wrote:

Hi!

I'm going to buy a Mac in a not far away future.
So I'm wondering what Macs works best with
Debian3.0? How about this one?

12,1-tums TFT XGA-screen
800 MHz PowerPC G3
512 K L2-cache (vid 800 MHz)
256 MB SDRAM-memory
30 GB Ultra ATA-unit
DVD/CD-RW-unit
ATI Mobility Radeon 7500
32 MB graphic mem
10/100BASE-T Ethernet
Internal 56K-modem
AirPort-ready

I also would like know if this Mac has enough horsepower
to be able to display DVD:s with good quality.

Well, I have a 600MHz G3 AmigaOne, and I'm not all that happy with the DVD playing facilities I've tried so far. On the other hand, I used to have crappy performance on the 2.2GHz P4 as well, so it might just be lack of optimization in MPlayer for our CPU. Or it might be a problem with my drivers...

I just tried to use VIDIX as output on the P4, and XFree86 cpu usage dropped from 20% to virtually nill. However, mplayer upped from 16 to 35%, so I'm not quite sure what the "benefit" is supposed to be ;-)

But like Benjamin wrote, Apple has access to more information about the chipsets (since they actually buy a lot of chips it's quite natural, really) than Linux / XFree86 has, so don't expect a perfect solution just yet :-(