Re: Few Newbie Questions TiBook III - woody

On Tue, Apr 01, 2003 at 01:35:25PM +0100, Benjamin Swatek wrote:
> Second: how do you guys interchange data with osX?
> well, i know there are the hfs+ utils, but as for now, they only can read,
> right? (by the way, to where does hpmount a partition, how can I acces it in
> X?) I might use hfs, but it seems to me that hfs doesn't support long
> filenames, this sucks, i want long filenames, so what about a apple UFS (or
> whats it called) partition? mostly i want to use the interchange partition
> for music, video & text files, so can OS X apps and linux apps acces these
> files? the apps themself don't have to run on that filesystem...

I use mol to start Mac OS X and then use scp. I don't remember exactly
how but I had to enable ssh login on the Mac side. As far as I know I
have no filename size limitation.

> Third: I didn't find a burning solution so far, I found a page about the
> superdrive, but it's propably different with my combo ?

It should work nearly out of the box. I guess you have ide-cd loaded
(check the output of lsmod). If this is the case, you must unload it and
load ide-scsi instead (rmmod ide-cd; modprobe ide-scsi). You can then
fire up a cd burning software.
nautilus-burner (or whatever it's called) is not yet in sid. I not found
the perfect soft but combust and xcdroast are useful.

> Forth: Sleepmode: I'm on the 2.4.20-ben9 kernel, which I managed to compile
> yesterday following jeffrey matt's advice to do the touch on the not existing
> vmlinux.coff. Now when i close the lid under X the box goes sleeping, but
> does a strange bing sound, the white light turns on, but I can't wake it up
> no more, have to do a reset :-(( by the way, putting the box to sleep seems
> to unload usb support or something. I do have a logitech mouse conected, and
> its light turns of when i the book goes sleeping... any hints?

No idea. But I do get a beep (that I would like to get rid of).

> Fifth: the new kernel does some strange things, two times it stopped booting,
> last line on the bootupscreen(kernel-loading-screen) was:
> pty: 256 Unix 98 ptys configured
> nothing after that, nothing after 5 minutes, so i had to reset.

Never saw that, looks bad. (note that I am still using ben8+sleep).

Christophe

As every cat owner knows, nobody owns a cat.
--Ellen Perry Berkeley