Re: iBook at 640x480

On Sam, 2003-03-15 at 10:41, Frank Murphy wrote:
> --- Michel Dänzer <daenzer@debian.org> wrote:
> > On Fre, 2003-03-14 at 17:46, Frank Murphy wrote:
> > > Has anyone worked out what the framebuffer config is for an iBook
> > at 640x480?
> > > Trying to get Mac-on-Linux to run at 640x480 in fullscreen mode,
> > but there's
> > > no configuration for 640x480.
> > >
> > > Has anyone here already worked this out?
> >
> > It depends what kind of graphics chip you have.
> >
> > If it's a Radeon, with xserver-xfree86-dri-trunk, you should be able
> > simply use a line like
> >
> > 	Modes	"1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
> >
> > in the display subsection, then switch to the 640x480 mode, run fbset
> > without arguments and feed the output to molvconfig somehow.
> >
> > If it's a Rage128 on the other hand, it's a different, more
> > complicated
> > story.
>
> It's a ATI Rage Mobility L (I think that's a mach64 chip).

Ah, yet another story - I don't know if it's supposed to work with that.
It would be a good idea to mention such information in your posts, as
these days 'iBook' usually refers to one of the newer machines.

> always shows it as 800x600.

xdpyinfo shows the root window dimensions, which never change normally.
xvidtune -show will show the current mode.

> And I don't have fbset installed. What package is it in?

fbset :) Hint: apt-cache search fbset

It won't help though as the atimisc X driver ignores the framebuffer
device. You'd have to convert the xvidtune output to the fbset format.