Re: Mini-Howto on getting the AltGr-Key mapped to the Applekey (Re: using the 'alt' key to special characters)

Claas Langbehn wrote:
Hello,

here it works this way:

1. change XF86config-4 to look like this for keyboard:

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Generic Keyboard"
	Driver		"keyboard"
	Option		"CoreKeyboard"
	Option		"LeftAlt"	"Meta"
	Option		"RightAlt"	"Meta"
	Option		"ScrollLock"	"Compose"
	Option		"RightCtl"	"Control"
	Option		"XkbRules"	"xfree86"
	# We don't use macintosh!
	# Option	"XkbModel"	"macintosh"
	# German Layout ("de")
	Option		"XkbLayout"	"de"
	Option		"XkbVariant"	"nodeadkeys"
EndSection

2. change your /etc/X11/xkb/keycodes/xfree86 to look
like this:
    // Map Applekey to AltGr
    // <RALT> = 113;
    <RALT> = 115;

    // we dont need those on Apples
    // Microsoft keyboard extra keys
    // <LWIN> = 115;
    // <RWIN> = 116;
    // <MENU> = 117;

    // Use Keypad-Enter as Delete-Key
    // This is the key left of cursor-left
    // <DELE> = 107;
    <DELE> = 108;
// <KPEN> = 108;
    <KPEN> = 107;

3. Restart your X-Server ... et voila! This worked straight away on my X11 server. With this you don't need any xmodmap lines.
Hey, that worked om my keyboard on an 333 iMac.

Great!

Thanks for posting this.

/gunner