Re: Mini-Howto on getting the AltGr-Key mapped to the Applekey (Re: using the 'alt' key to special characters)

On Fri, 2003-03-14 at 07:20, Jesus Climent wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 07:59:39AM +0100, Claas Langbehn wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > 1. change XF86config-4 to look like this for keyboard:
> >
> > 2. change your /etc/X11/xkb/keycodes/xfree86 to look
> > like this:

This is much nicer if you don't have to change these conffiles.

I'm no expert at this, so my solution isn't any better than yours, it
just avoids editing files that are part of the xfree86 packages.

I just fiddled around a bit and made myself an xkb file (attached) which
I then load in at the start of an xsession,

xkbcomp -R/etc/X11/xkb /path/to/ibook_gb.xkb $DISPLAY

The attached file makes a keymap for the UK iBook keyboard, my choices
are little different to yours, I use the extra enter key for right alt
instead.  It works for me, I make no other claims :)  (My only
difficulty is that I've been unable to make fn+Apple, which I decided to
use for Compose, generate a different code than the 'Eject' F12 key, so
I can either compose accented characters, or eject my CD, but not both
:)

However, it seems possible that using my example you could create a
keymap that doesn't need editing in /etc.  The docs on this stuff are so
thin it's painful.

-- Edd
xkb_keymap "appleusbprogb" {
    xkb_keycodes    { include "xfree86"

    <FK13> = 93;
    <FK14> = 123;
    <FK15> = 127;
    <HELP> = 106;
    <TLDE> = 94;
    <SECT> = 49;

    };
    xkb_types       { include "default" };
    xkb_compatibility { include "default" };
    xkb_geometry    { include "macintosh(macintosh)" };

    xkb_symbols {

    include "macintosh/us(extended)"
    include "macintosh/gb(basic)"

    name[Group1]="Great Britain";

    key <AE02> {        [               2,        at      ],
                    [        EuroSign,        cent    ] };

    key <AE03> {    [               3,        sterling      ],
            [      numbersign           ]};
    key <RALT> {        [      Mode_switch ] };

    key <I5E> {        [      Multi_key ]};

    key <SECT> {       [    section, plusminus ]};

    };
    };