Internet connection test fails on PowerBookG3

Trying to get my newly installed Debian to connect to the internet fails
every time.
I installed kernel v.2.2.20 over floppies on my Wallstreet without any
bigger problems. Running base-config should make a connection test to one of
the many Debian archive mirrors, but the connection attempt answers with a
message: "something wicked happened resolving 'mirrorxxx' (-3)". The
internet connection IS made over my internal modem, which I checked at the
ISP. I thought first it's may be a DNS server question, but trying to change
the settings of the "Name server" through pppconfig to Static, Dynamic or
None didn't solve the problem. I think my settings in the "provider" files
are ok. Here some printouts of the settings:

1) from the file /etc/ppp/peers/provider:

# This optionfile was generated by pppconfig 2.0.10.
#
#
hide-password
noauth
connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/chatscripts/provider"
debug
/dev/ttyS2
38400
defaultroute
noipdefault
user XXXXYYYY

ipparam provider
remotename provider
idle 600

2) from the file /etc/chatscripts/provider:

# This chatfile was generated by pppconfig 2.0.10.
# Please do not delete any of the comments. Pppconfig needs them.
#
# ispauth PAP
# abortstring
ABORT BUSY ABORT 'NO CARRIER' ABORT VOICE ABORT 'NO DIALTONE' ABORT 'NO DIAL
TONE' ABORT 'NO ANSWER' ABORT DELAYED

# modeminit
'' ATZ
# ispnumber
OK-AT-OK ATDT023333333
# ispconnect
CONNECT \d\c
# prelogin

# ispname
# isppassword
# postlogin

# end of pppconfig stuff

Can anybody tell my what I am doing wrong? Shall I replace the kernel to v.
2.4.20? I can't do it until I have a working internet connection.

Bernd