cd-rw on ibook2

Hi,

I'm getting mad trying to get cd-rw working on my ibook (it is a G3
700Hz with combo drive bought in September 2002).
I'm using Debian with Ben's kernel 2.4.20-pre7.

Now, this is the present situation: I have in my yaboot.conf the line
"append ide-scsi", there is a symlink from /dev/scd0 (but I also tryed
from /dev/cdrom0) to /dev/cdrom, on boot I get:
[...]
hdb: Enabling MultiWord DMA 2
hdb: ATAPI 24X DVD-ROM CD-R/RW drive, 8192kB Cache, DMA
[...]
SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
[...]
When I try "modprobe ide-scsi" the module isn't found (and there is no
ide-scsi.o in /lib/modules/2.4.20-pre7....): I imagine it is built in
the kernel, isn't it? Anyway, /proc/scsi/scsi says there is no attached
device --> and xcdroast "fails to scan the SCSI-bus".

Do you have any suggestion? I really need to fix this problem!

Thank you in advance!
--
Guido Amoruso <guidonte@libero.it>