Re: Testing Sarge on IBM pSeries systems

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 02:19:31PM +0000, simonraven@istop.com wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 13:23:09 -0500, Narins, Josh composed:
> >
> > > How can I help out testing Sarge on IBM pSeries systems ( I
> > > have access to
> > > a lab full of these systems )?
> > >
> > > I was able to install Woody on a 44P-170 by obtaining the
> > > following files:
> > > - ramdisk.image.gz
> > > - drivers.tgz
> > > - basedebs.tar
> > > From:
> > > - ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-powerpc/
> > >
> > > Where can I find the equivalent files for Sarge?
> > > They do not appear to be in:
> > > - ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/sarge/main/
> > >
> > > If they do not yet exist, can someone create these ( I would
> > > if I knew how
> > > )?
> > >
> > > Rolf
> >
> > Hi Rolf.
> >
> > Once you have a debian system installed, you will not need to re-install to
> > move to sarge
> >
> > Simple, the process is just switching "stable" (or woody) for "testing" in
> > your /etc/apt/sources.list (except the security lines) and then
> > apt-get update
> > apt-get dist-upgrade (not upgrade)
> >
> > In fact, one of Debian's strongest suits is doing just this.
> >
> > Good luck!
>
> btw, security updates exist for testing, too. just not unstable (for
> obvious reasons).

Erm, i don't think this is true, quite the contrary. It was even told
that since testing is currently so out of date, due to the soon to be
fixed glibc issue, that it is more outdated, broken and insecure than
either woody or unstable.

So, i would recomend anyone with security problems to not use testing,
but woody with unstable backports if needed, or unstable.

Friendly,

Sven Luther