Re: vi oriented mailer ...

You can configure PINE to use vi.  This message is being sent doing this.
It isn't as well integrated as if you use pico (off course), but it seems
to work well enough.  But PINE can also be used completely from a prompt
using its "native" editor pico.  In fact, when our IS department decided
shell access to our mail server would no longer be allowed, I took an
old P-150 and decided to learn a little about Debian, firewalls and how
to configure PINE to give me something akin to shell access for my mail
again :)  Still working pretty well...

cheers
vinai