Re: cannot make system bootable (PMac 6500)

On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 10:26:07AM -0500, Allan Streib wrote:
> Still trying to get woody to install on my PowerMac 6500.  I got through
> the install process to the point of "Make the system bootable" using quik
> (I never got to choose this, BTW.)
>
> It cannot.  In the console log (Opt-F3) I see
>
> dbootstrap[78]: ofpath: This machine is not supported: AAPL,e411MacRISC
> dbootstrap[78]: Unable to get OpenFirmware device name
> dbootstrap[78]: The requested operation cannot be perfomed because the OpenFirmware device name for the root disk could not be determined.
>
> So, can I manually configure another way to boot this machine?  Other
> suggestions?

I don't know if there is a way to make your 6500 boot from HD, but
booting from floppy works very well for me. If you still have MacOS
installed you can use BootX.

HTH,

Vinai
--
Secure eMail with gnupg: See http://www.gnupg.org/

Please avoid sending me Word, Excel or PowerPoint attachments.