Re: How-To backup hole harddisk of ibook

The easiest method I found was to reboot the iBook into firewire target disk
mode -- hold down the T key as you reboot. This basically turns the iBook into
a very expensive ATA to Firewire bridge; the internal disk is exposed as an
SBP2 disk.

Then plug the iBook's firewire port into another suitably equipped machine and
take a sector by sector copy of the disk:

(assuming /dev/sdc is the newly attached sbp2 disk):
# dd if=/dev/sdc bs=512 | bzip2 -9 > ibook_backup.bz2

Restoring this is obviously just the reverse operation:
# bunzip2 < ibook_backup.bz2 | dd of=/dev/sdc bs=512

This worked for me about 6 months ago when I had to get my ibook replaced.
Backing up 40Gb over firewire to a Linux host at the time was rather slow.
Hopefully the Linux drivers have improved.

Good Luck!

Will