Re: Help Please!! SCSI install problem

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 05:26:40PM -0800, David Tisdell wrote:
> Thanks Chris,
> I know there is a powerpc driver for the adaptec card.
> I booted off of a YellowDog cd and was able to see my
> drives. I would prefer to run Debian if I can get it
> to install as I think the support, in general is
> better and this is going to be a server in a
> production environment. This list is the best resource
> out there for PPC versions of Linux. A friend of mine
> suggested I use a different box and compile a new
> kernel for installationj purposes with support for the
> Adaptec card built in. If I did that, I think I would
> need to use a different install procedure rather than
> the cd install so that I could boot with that kernel.
> It would just require some new learning on my part.

Once you have the kernel ready just name it linux.bin. Then put it
along with yaboot.conf, yaboot, and root.bin (all from the CD) on your
hard drive and boot from OpenFirmware (covered in the manual).

> Perhaps I could use the kernel from the YelloDog cd
> and the debian ramdisk. I am just not sure how to put
> that together on a new world machine. It was fairly
> easy to try different kernels with BootX. I'll have to

You could use BootX, too. Again just sub your kernel for linux.bin.

> read the other installation options. Any more
> suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
> Dave

-- Lawrence Bernstein, Discover, Feb 2003