Umax Pulsar with Woody freshly installed: X freezes

Hi,

after I reorganised my hard disks I reinstalled Debian via Network install.
The installation is fine, the system works fine when in console mode. But when I try to launch X the Server freezes after a few seconds. A normal "startx"-sequence never comes to an end, and just starting the X-Server itself - without any WM or something else - is no problem. Launching a XClient from the Command Line then freezes the screen, just the mouse cursor can be moved around. Eterm for example is capable of creating a menu and a backdrop, but no shell process is launched.
>From this point on the CPU usage increases, reaching levels of more than 1. When I log via ssh I can kill -9 the X-Server, but the screen won't come back.
When running the X-Server "stand alone" and switching to console, and finally back, breaks everything, too. The server freezes, the keyboard won't respond. I need to reboot.

My setup is:
Umax Pulsar with (currently) one 604e/233
592MB RAM
Matrox Millenium II w/ 4MB in Slot B (PCI:0:14:0)

Kernel: Default Debian 3.0 installation kernel (2.2.20) or compiled 2.2.22
Boot-Options (BootX): video=matrox:vesa:0x193 (1152x864@32Bits)

I tried using the Kernels Framebuffer as well as letting X take control over the screen itself. I reduced the resolution of the Framebuffer, and the default resolution for X. I tried changing the  kernel from my own one to the standard installation kernel (and back).
Running X -probeonly doesn't show any errors.
Disabling DRI (because I read in the archive that there might be a problem in the standard package) by uncommenting the Load "DRI" line in the modules section didn't change anything.

I would be happy if someone out there would take some time to help me with this issue, I'm totally lost.

Bye,
Christian

Sie haben mehr zu sagen als in eine SMS passt? Mit WEB.DE FreeMail ist
das jetzt kein Problem mehr! http://freemail.web.de/features/?mc=021182