Re: XFree86 on G3/266

Le jeudi 02 janvier vers 13:29 Ian Pushee nous a écrit :

> I've got an old G3/266 (beige) on which I am trying to install debian. I
> have an identical computer running the now defunct LinuxPPC -- but it
> appears quite a bit has changed since I did that install. I've gotten
> everything installed and running in console mode, but the xserver won't
> start up.

Mmm, my LinuxPPC install few years ago used to have Xpmac as an X server.

> The screen goes black a few times, then I am kicked into a
> configuration program which offers to display the logs, then to restart
> the xserver.

You're still lucky, it does not lock the machine ;-).

What's your kernel version. I used to have 2.2.15 on the same machine, and
I never managed to have X working on it with XFree86 (it was OK with
Xpmac). I updated to 2.4.18 and XFree 4.1.0 works.

> In the X11 log, everything seems to be going ok untill the very end when
> I get the messages:
> (WW) ATI: PCI/AGP Mach64 in slot 0:18:0 could not be detected!
> (EE) No devices detected
> Fatal server error:
> no screens found

Could you send your XF86Config file, please? Do you try to use the X server
included in Woody?

> There are no other errors, either in the console, or in the logs. The
> slot number seems to be correct as lspci gives:
> 00:12:00 VGA Compatable controller: ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage I/II
> 215GT [Mach64 GT] (rev9a)

You seems to use the built-in graphical card. If you still have a
functionnal Mac OS (\ie if you use BootX), you should keep "video=ofonly"
quoted in BootX panel (\ie it works for me). I never understood why there
were a difference between what lspci finds and what's reported in X logs.
What about the kernel logs?

   \bye
      S.