Re: current ppc sid problem

OoO En ce début de soirée du mercredi 01 janvier 2003, vers 21:06,
Jack Howarth <howarth@bromo.msbb.uc.edu> disait:

>     Is anyone else seeing this in current debian ppc sid? I am
> finding that evolution gets removed whenever I do a dist-upgrade
> that installs libgtkhtml1.1-3 which replaces libgtkhtml1.1-1.
> It appears that evolution has a dependency on libgtkhtml1.1-1
> that libgtkhtml1.1-3 doesn't satisfy. The only why I can get
> evolution installed is to do a

> dpkg -i --ignore-depends=libgtkhtml1.1-1 evolution_1.2.0-4_powerpc.deb

> however while this installs evolution I am getting errors now on
> apt-get dist-upgrade...

Following sid on a non x86 arch always leads to this kind of
problems : packets are uploaded while they are not compiled for each
arch. Sarge does not have this problem since a condition to be
accepted in Sarge is to be compiled for each arch supported by Debian.

The best solution is to use aptitude and to hold packets that would be
removed otherwise (evolution in your case). This will put in hold
packets like libgtkhtml. In a day or two, when suck packets will have
been autobuilt and signed, you will then be able to upgrade.

aptitude allows very easily to put a packet in hold (with the "="
key).
--
Use free-form input when possible.
            - The Elements of Programming Style (Kernighan & Plaugher)