firewire hfsplus problems

hey folks,

I have an external firewire hard drive mounted via the scsi/firewire
system -- I store my mp3's there mainly, on an hfsplus partition
(originally so that I could reboot in macos, which I no longer really do).

my 3-year-old turned off the drive unit's power switch one day when I
wasn't paying attention (hopefully learned a parenting lesson
there!).  Now the drive is still detected by rescan-scsci-bus.sh, and
the relevant partition will mount, but any operation I try gives the
following error:

-----------------------
[18:36:16]root@matts-mac:~$ mount /mnt/firewire2
[18:36:19]root@matts-mac:~$ ls /mnt/firewire2
ls: reading directory /mnt/firewire2: Input/output error
------------------------------
It's been a while since I dealt with all the hfsplus configuration
stuff, so I don't really remember how one gets hfsplus to work...  I
checked my kernel config file, and it contains the lines:
CONFIG_HFS_FS=m
CONFIG_HFSPLUS_FS=m

so I assume the following line in fstab invokes the kernel-space hfsplus tools:

/dev/sdc12       /mnt/firewire2   hfsplus

I've tested with a couple of other hfsplus partitions, and they mount
ok.  Also, I quickly rebooted in macos 9.2 and found that the
partition I need was at least visible from there (didn't check to see
if files were accessible -- that was stupid -- will do so when I'm
done this email).

from within linux I ran hpfsck on the partition, with the following
results:
-------------
~$ hpfsck /dev/sdc12
*** Checking Volume Header:
                                                Done ***
*** Checking Backup Volume Header:
Volume was last Mounted by unknnown implemenatation:
10.0                                            Done ***
*** Checking Extents Btree:
                                                Done ***
*** Checking Catalog Btree:
Backpointers in Node 165 index 3 out of order (0x1001f682 >=
0x10025690)
                                                Done ***
*** Checking files and directories in catalog:
hpfsck: hpfsck: no error (Success)
nonetheless, I still can't access any of the files on the partition
from within linux.

soooo...  what should I do next?  any suggestions?
thx,

matt