Re: Cant start from CD

On Sun, Dec 21, 2003 at 07:40:28PM +0100, Simon Schneebeli wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> With an experienced friend we tried to install Debian on my new iBook
> G4. We didn't get very far. We were not even able to start from the CD.
> The usual "C" at startup just didn't work. We also tried an install via
> web, but after starting into the installer, it does not anymore
> recognise the harddisk it started of.
>
> There are two points that might be the cause:
> - The CD was burned on a computer running Windows
> - I did the mistake to have my HFS+ partition at the beginning of the
> partitions I created.
>
> Anyone has an idea?

I suspect that the CD image you used is too old to support the iBook G4.
Every major revision of the hardware requires some minor changes to
yaboot, and without those fixes the machine will refuse to treat it
as a bootable device. You need to give more info, such as what CD
you are using and where you got the image.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com