Re: kernel, devfs and /proc/partitions question.

On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 11:46:38AM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> Furthermore. If devfs is not mounted, devfs should have no influence
> whatsoever on the running kernel, right ?

Unfortunately devfs is a broken POS, so in 2.4 it has quite a lot..

> The problem is that i am running the powerpc kernel without any devfs
> option, and not built with devfs-automount, but altough the df output
> seems ok, /proc/partitions seems to show the devfs volumes.

Yes, that's a known bug in 2.4 kernels, and is fixed in Linux 2.6.

> Is this the correct and expected behavior ? What do other people
> (popwerpc users or not) see here ? And can this be safely ignored, or
> will it cause problems later with non devfs mounted kernels ?

It's not correct, but expected.  Better don't use devfs.  (Yeah, I know
the d-i folks don't get it, but fortunately I hope I won't ever have to
reinstall Debian on this box :))