Re: kernel advice for ibook g3

Soeren Sonnenburg <debianppc-ml@nn7.de> writes:

> On Fri, 2003-12-12 at 11:51, Michel Dänzer wrote:
>> On Fri, 2003-12-12 at 11:27, florian klinglmueller wrote:
>> >
>> > requirements:
>> > sound*, 3d accel, x*, gnome*, cryptoloop, usb storage*, sleep*
>> > (* these things are actualy working with my old 2.4.22-benh kernel)
>>
>> This should all work with Ben's 2.6 kernel from
>> source.mvista.com::linuxppc-2.5-benh .
>
> not really true. sound is not 100% perfect and cryptoloop definitely
> does not work, ie.
>
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/file bs=1M count=100
> losetup -e blowfish /dev/loop0 /file
> Password:
> mkfs -t ext3 /dev/loop0
> mount /dev/loop0 /mnt
> cd /mnt
> dd if=/dev/zero of=bla
>
> gives you nice unpredictable crashes.
>
> If someone knows what I am doing wrong or whats wrong, I am open for
> suggestions.

No crash here with aes and blowfish encryption.
Eh, here my loop module has some diffs from Andrew Morton mm tree
(some module autoloading stuff and highmem simplification for what I
remember)
These patches are available at
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.0-test10/2.6.0-test10-mm1/broken-out

--
Mathieu Segaud

Actually you would still need the other fixes otherwise you might as well put
the root password in /etc/motd

	- Alan Cox pointing out some security holes in binfmt_misc