Re: XFree86 on Albook 15"?

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 08:34:01PM +1030, Ryan Verner wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-12-12 at 20:28, Colin Watson wrote:
> > I rsynced Ben's 2.6 tree from source.mvista.com::linuxppc-2.5-benh and
> > built that. http://www.penguinppc.org/ has directions.
>
> Oh.. heh, he has a 2.6 tree too :-)
>
> Go figure.  Cheers, I'll try this tomorrow once I'm on a decent
> connection again.
>
> This solved your X11 video display issues?

Completely as far as I'm concerned, not that I've tried 3D. I've
attached my XF86Config-4 in case you're interested (partly cribbed from
an example by Michel Dänzer, I believe - but not really anything
earth-shaking there).

> (Do all 15" Albook's have the Radeon card, or do some also have the
> nVidia?).

I believe they're all Radeon. Certainly mine is.

> I thought it may be an issue with the actual xfree86 driver itself,
> but it seems logical that it could be the kernel (framebuffer,
> perhaps?).

I think it's the framebuffer, yeah, but I'm no expert.

Cheers,

# XF86Config-4 (XFree86 X server configuration file) generated by dexconf, the
# Debian X Configuration tool, using values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the XF86Config-4 manual page.
# (Type "man XF86Config-4" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xfree86 package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xfree86
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following commands as root:
#
#   cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.custom
#   md5sum /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 > /var/lib/xfree86/XF86Config-4.md5sum
#   dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

Section "Files"
	FontPath	"unix/:7100"			# local font server
	# if the local font server has problems, we can fall back on these
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/CID"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
EndSection

Section "Module"
	Load	"dbe"
	Load	"dri"
	Load	"extmod"
	Load	"freetype"
	Load	"glx"
	Load	"type1"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Generic Keyboard"
	Driver		"keyboard"
	Option		"CoreKeyboard"
	Option		"XkbRules"	"xfree86"
	Option		"XkbModel"	"macintosh"
	Option		"XkbLayout"	"gb"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Configured Mouse"
	Driver		"mouse"
	Option		"CorePointer"
	Option		"Device"		"/dev/input/mice"
	Option		"Protocol"		"ImPS/2"
	Option		"ZAxisMapping"		"4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Generic Mouse"
	Driver		"mouse"
	Option		"SendCoreEvents"	"true"
	Option		"Device"		"/dev/input/mice"
	Option		"Protocol"		"ImPS/2"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"PowerBook Internal Video"
	Driver		"ati"

# This disables the DRI while switching to console (only possible when no client is using the DRM),
# which allows to do a number of nice things:
# * change DRM while the server is running
# * run several servers with DRI enabled (beware, doing that with different depths seems to be buggy yet)
# * may also help on suspend/resume as a VT switch is emulated for that
	#Option		"DRIReinit"

# This enables page flipping for 3D clients. There are some issues with it yet, if they bother you, disable it
	#Option		"EnablePageFlip"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"PowerBook Panel"