Strange X behaviour.

Hi !

Three days ago, I decided to install X 4.3 on my iBook G3
with debian packages from
experimental to have a full X 4.3 (sorry Michel :-))
What happened is really weird:
I used to use Vincent Bernat's layoutchooser.py with gdm to switch
from 2 config in my XF86Config-4.
I removed xserver-xfree86-dri-trunk, thinking it would cause some
weirdness. But with the packages from experimental, the config with 2
screens did not work: basic cloning from on screen to the other with a
color tendency generally being green (yerk!). On the other hand, the
single screen worked and the other screen did not present me the usual
weird melt of black and screen with a big mouse pointer. It was just a
perfect cloning from the LCD.
So prefering to have 2 independent screens, I reinstalled
xserver-xfree86-dri-trunk without removing experimental packages:

At this moment, it became the best I had ever had:
single mode: perfect cloning with DRI enabled
double mode: dual-head with no DRI
and what is really cool: no X running, perfect console cloning.

But this lasted until the next reboot.

This is 100% reproducable.

What could have caused such a behaviour from the framebuffer ?

For the moment, I'm tweaking Vincent's python script to use X4.3 with
one head config and Michel's X with dual-head. It works but I find it
a bit nasty :-)
Has anyone suggestions ?
attached is my XF86Config-4

Mathieu Segaud

Code like that would not pass through anybody's yuck-o-meter.

	- Linus Torvalds about design on linux-kernel