Querying apt-get re: available packages

I've installed DebianPPC3.0(Woody). How do I query apt-get about availability of a pkg I'm interested in installing? I've entered the index of all 7 of my Debian install cd's onto my system--how do I query that database regarding a particular pkg using an apt-get option? I'm imagining some sort of equivalent to
yum list | grep <package>
in YDL, once the yum index has been updated. (I've read the man page for apt-get, but haven't found an option to list available pkgs. There's a ref on the dpkg page to querying about pkgs installed on the system, but not about pkgs that are not installed.)

Thanks for info.    --Harvey