Re: IDE in 7300

On  30 Nov, this message from Marco van de Voort echoed through
cyberspace:
> I got an old (_really_ old) PCI ide card, and tried to insert it into
> my 7300, in the hope I can attach some (larger) IDE drives.
>
> However the 7300 running debian 3.0 with
>
> Linux rottenapple 2.2.20-pmac #1 Thu Mar 21 17:08:23 EST 2002 ppc
> unknown

First thing: upgrade to a 2.4 kernel; that really boosts performance on
PPC hardware. For your machine, a standard 2.4 kernel (kernel.org, for
instance) will do.

> doesn't seem to recognize the card. That is not so strange, could be
> driver, unsupported card etc etc.
>
> However I don't see it in /proc/pci either.

That's bad. Even without IRQ jumpering, it should be in /proc/pci. Sure
it isn't there? Can you send the output of 'lspci -vv'? Also, send along
the output of 'ls -l /proc/device-tree/bandit/'.

> Also, this card still must be manually jumpered to the appropiate PCI
> INTs. (INT A..D)

Doesn't make any difference on Macs; all the IRQ pins (4 per slot,
A...D) ar wired together on each slot.

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |