Yet another G4 iBook newbie

Sorry for the new thread about this; there don't seem to have
been any messages to the old one since I joined the mailing
list so ...

I've got a G4 iBook 800 MHz 12.1" TFT screen (ATI Mobility
Radeon 9200 graphics card) which I am trying to install
woody on (I'd rather not go for sid if it can at all be
helped).  I followed Colin Leroy's instructions on getting
X built from CVS (including rebuilding the radeon.o module).
I also downloaded the g4-ibook-radeonfb-m9.diff mentioned
on www.difficulties.de/ibook/ and applied that patch to
the 2.4.23-pre5-ben0 (or wherever the hyphens should be!)
kernel that I wished to install.

Since applying the patch I have nasty flickering in console
mode which I didn't have before.  X (as before) fails to
start on boot; xf86cfg didn't run before I applied the
patch but now appears to start up as a horizontal bar across
the middle of the screen necessitating a reboot (this may
be because I can't switch between virtual consoles using
alt-f2 etc. -- any fixes for this known of?).

All in all I'm feeling pretty despondent -- I've been trying
to get this beastie installed for a week now (not the best
week to pick, I admit!) and I feel like I'm getting nowhere
fast, so all help gratefully received ...

Diana.