dpkg segfaults after upgrade

I'm running Sid.  Just did an apt-get update/upgrade (via Synaptic) and now
dpkg fails with error:

wallace:/var/cache/apt/archives# dpkg -i dpkg_1.10.15_powerpc.deb
dpkg - warning: downgrading dpkg from 1.10.18 to 1.10.15.
(Reading database ... 94666 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace dpkg 1.10.18 (using dpkg_1.10.15_powerpc.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement dpkg ...
Segmentation fault
wallace:/var/cache/apt/archives# dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal
(Broken pipe)

Initially, it happened when unpacking a new version of cups.  It seems to only
do it when replacing packages, though, I removed/reinstalled a couple
(noncrucial and minor :) things without problems.  I can't downgrade dpkg
back to 1.10.15 from 1.10.18, and I'm afraid I don't know how to fix it
otherwise.  So, 1) does anyone know how to get out of this lovely
predicament, and 2) how do I make really sure it is dpkg, and is there
anything else I should do (file a bug, and how/where do I do it?  I'm afraid
I'm rather new at this :^} ).

Also, FWIW, in testing I used cinepaint packages as a guinea pig. Somewhere in
my blundering, the cinepaint package got into "a very bad inconsistent state
- you should reinstall it before attempting a removal". I assume that's from
dpkg crapping out.   Have a nice day, folks!  (I am. ;))

NRH