Is it possible to disable kdm during boot?

List,
I installed KDE on a new Debian (sid) installation on a 17" PowerBook G4, and was getting an error when kdm attempted to start XFree86. I added "1440x900" to the modelines and changed the driver from ati to nv. Now, rather than the attempt to start and the failure, the screen goes blank. Since kdm was added for KDE by default, my screen now goes blank on boot, so I can't even log in, much less troubleshoot X. Is there a way to disable kdm during the boot sequence?

Thanks,
--
Barry C. Hawkins
All Things Computed