gnome is testing appears broken

I am trying to install gnome on my PowerBook 17 which is running testing. Unfortunately I can't get gnome-session to run at all. I have used gnome 1.4 in the past on powerpc and intel machines and have been very happy. It seems testing has a mixture of gnome 2.2 and 2.4 and some of the packages seem to conflict with each other. Also I have read that there have been some problems with powerpc ports which is very sad.

What is the most stable and/or recent version of Gnome that runs on powerpc machines (1.4, 2.2, 2.4, other) ?

How do I install that version of Gnome ?

I am having trouble with the new sawfish too. I'm not sure if all this is realted or not. Do I need to set SESSION_MANAGER or is this done automatically??? Someone suggested trying metacity but I wasn't that impressed. icewm was a little better but I am used to my sawfish theme.

Thanks for any help.  I am very frustrated at the moment :(
Cheers,
Brendan Simon.