Re: VGA-out not working any longer on old TiBook 400

Percy Zahl <pzahl@bluewin.ch> wrote:

Hi,

> I've a bunch of questions about the m3mirror/vga-out and XFree with the
> current ppc-kernel on an old TiBook 400:
>
> Since a kernel update from 2.4.19 to 2.4.20 and now to 2.4.23 I cannot
> use the VGA output any longer, I can switch it on/off (using m3mirror),
> but the signal produces a funny colorfull but almost random pixelized
> CRT  image, the LCD image is uneffected and OK.

According to what BenH told me :

This is due to a change in prom_init.c ; now OF is asked to open all
displays.

Backing out the change should be enough (haven't tried yet), otherwise
you can revert to 2.4.20 for your presentations (what I'm doing atm),
or fix aty128fb.c (or XFree) to implement a real dual-head
support... The radeonfb code should help in this area.

It's not a good feeling to be left alone sitting in a corner with our
old PowerBooks... but hey, at least we've got an ATI chip. :)

JB.

--
 Julien BLACHE - Debian & GNU/Linux Developer - <jblache@debian.org>

 Public key available on <http://www.jblache.org> - KeyID: F5D6 5169