Thanks for all the fish

Hi,

A thank you for the help I got on this list, in particular from Chris
Tillman. Thanks, Chris!

Installing Debian continued to fail at a certain point for me a few times,
and I now understand why: either bad memory or a bad disk. The most obvious
sign for this was a corruption of /var/lib/dpkg/available (it showed some
interesting 'typos' after it was generated).

I first suspected my swap disk, but that is on the same pysical drive as the
other partitions. I noticed: suddenly /sbin/badblocks found on a ramdisk
also gave a segmentation fault. Repeatedly, so that ramdisk file must have
got corrupted too.

I'm sorry -- I wanted to test the d-i installer, and promised to test
miBoot, but due to these problems, it will not be of much use. Sorry!

I'll probably am stubborn enough to test another (SCSI) disk, but if that
fails too, no Debian server for me at home. :-(

Regards and thanks again for all the help.

Freek Dijkstra