Re: new ibook 4

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 11:53:28AM +0100, Colin Leroy wrote:
> > I would just like to know if anyone has yet installed Debian on the new
> > ibook 4. If so...we there any problems or difficulties?
> > I am interested in buying the same...and so want to be sure against
> > problems I may face.
>

> I'm very tempted too... From what I see there may be problems with
> a) the modem (but i don't really care)
> b) the radeon 9200. DRI says it supports it, so it may be a simple
> recompilation fix.

The 9200 is nothing more than an AGP 8x 9000, it should work the same
for XFree86/fbdve/DRI, with maybe only changing the chipid or something
such, or using more modern drivers (the Michael Daenzer packages for
example).

That said, for 3D, the Ibook G4 are one of the coolest thing around,
since they have the fastest graphic card that will have hopes to get
3D support on ppc. Unless ATI gives specs for their 9600 chips
(unlikely) or make a powerpc build of their proprietary drivers (also
unlikely, since we have no idea how much people actually use their chips
on ppc).

The only negative side is that those use the ppc 7445 processor, which
runs hotter than the 7447 ones.

Friendly,

Sven Luther