Re: Second round of powerpc subarch investigation : boot-loaders.

Hi Chris and Sven,

>>> I recently noted a post stating that the bootloader development team did not
>>> have access to an oldword powerpc. I have one of those, and can do some
>>> testing this weekend, even if it renders my openfirmware settings obsolete.
>>> [...]
>>
>> It maybe too early, we have a kernel now which should be able to be
>> mibootable, but not yet the full debian-installer stuff.
>>
>> I will make a new kernel build this afternoon, maybe you can try this
>> one out, and see if you can boot it. I hope once this kernel reaches the
>> archives, we can try building d-i images also or something such, or you
>> could do them by hand. I don't really know how miboot works, so i can't
>> do it myself.
>
> You could certainly see if the hfs-bootfloppy.bin image within
>
> http://members.cox.net/miBoot.tgz

I just grabbed it - I assume you meant
http://members.cox.net/toff1/miBoot.tgz

> boots. It should ask for a root disk, at which point you'll just have
> to reboot for now. We'll need help testing the debian-installer very
> soon! Thanks for your contributions.

So far I haven't looked into miboot (so far, I used BootX and
-unsuccesfully- quik).

I will have a look though. As I can see, miboot is a bootloader pretending
to be MacOS system. So I will use a (currently unbootable) SCSI partition,
and make a System Folder and put all the files in the miBoot folder in
there. If all is right, Apple should recognize it as a System Folder, and I
can choose that partition in the Disk Setup. Correct?

I'll give it a try and see what happens.

It it fails, I will format my internal IDE disk using Apple's Drive setup
(it now contains Debain, but I want to repartition it anyway), and try
booting from there.

I don't have a README or INSTALL file, so am I correct in the above steps to
take, or do I miss anything?

Regards,
Freek