[solved] Re: HOWTO install Debian from another distribution?

On 24 Oct 2003 13:05:49 +0200
Jens Schmalzing <jens.schmalzing@physik.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:

> Arnaud Vandyck writes:

[...]

> > is it the good way to install Debian from another distribution?

> debootstrap is definitely  the way to go.  It will  give you a minimal
> but functional Debian system.  You  may have to configure a few things
> manually  (I recall  the root  password, the  first user  account, the
> hostname, the network, and the sources.list).

It did not work out of the box for me. But I found this:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-dpkg/2001/debian-dpkg-200103/msg00043.html

So:

1°  edit /var/lib/dpkg/status  to fake  dpkg  is installed  (yes it  was
    installed  but not registered  in this  file!... and  I lied  on the
    version number)

2° apt-get install
     libc6 libcap1 libdb2 libncurses5 libpam-modules libpam-runtime
     libpam0g libreadline4 libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 mawk dpkg apt dselect

3° dpkg -a configure

4° dselect

Best regards,

PS: at  the moment, I have  some problems with  coreutils (operation not
permitted to lock directory /usr/share/info/coreutils.info)

-- Arnaud Vandyck, STE fi, ULg
   Formateur Cellule Programmation.