Re: Modem on the iBook2

* Colin Charles <byte@bytebot.net> [2003-10-21 17:56]:
> Got an iBook2 800Mhz machine here, running Debian, with 2.4.22-benh very
> comfortably. Everything works (thanks to the good folk on IRC!).

I've got one too. Nice, isn't it? :-)

> 1. How do I get my software modem working?

Since it's a software modem you need a driver for it. Luckily there is a
binary driver for it - http://www.linuxant.com/drivers
A word of warning though - it's not 100% stable. It's generally OK but
it doesn't play well with sleep. Make sure you disconnect and run
hcfusbstop before sleeping (I've got that in /etc/power/pwrctl-local).

> wvdialconf doesn't pick it up :( neither does kppp.

wvdial and kppp will be fine once you have the driver working (though
wvdialconf won't pick it up).

> 2. How do I drive the external display? I've got an ATI Radeon Mobility
> 7500. I don't want it to be split screen or anything, I just need the
> exact laptop screen output displayed on an external screen (for
> presentations, et al).

I haven't attempted this yet. I think maybe it's possible on a monitor
but not to TV. I seem to remember something of the sort on this list a
while back - you could check the archives.

Cheers
David