Re: Help required for preventing kdm/gdm/xdm from starting

pander@users.sourceforge.net writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I've downgraded my PowerBook G4 12" from unstable to testing and as a
> result of that X is not working anymore. Not a big problem but, even
> worse is that it is hanging my system in such a way that I cannot even
> login blind into a console and prevent kdm/gdm/xdm from starting on
> the next boot so I can fix the system.
>
> Of course I have a Gentoo Live 1.4 PPC CD to boot from in these cases
> to fix such problems but since the OSX upgrade to 1.2.8, I cannot boot
> from this CD either. (Are there more people that cannot boot Gentoo
> Live PPC anymore on a PowerBook with OSX1.2.8? I'm thinking of filing
> a bug report at Gentoo on this if this is the case).

seems to be related to some OF upgrade, in OSX upgrade...
Search on thsis list, many have reported such problems (it is not
related to Gentoo)
I remeber that you need a fresh BenH kernel with cpufreq disabled to
boot.

> So my question is, does debian has a feature, like e.g.Mandrake has,
> in which you can select what services to start at boot time with
> simple Y/N questions. Or is there any other way for me to stop
> kdm/gdm/xdm from starting at boot time? Or is there a way to boot the
> Gentoo Live CD in another way?

Boot in single mode: at the boot prompt,
Linux single and go
dpkg-reconfigure xdm|kdm|gdm should bring you to a choice.
if you want to prevent them to start at boot, just remove startup
symlinks in /etc/rcX.d.

--
Mathieu Segaud