Re: software download

On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 11:08:49AM -0400, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> Google isn't everyone's friend: http://www.google-watch.org/
>
> There are other search engines out there, and they actually work.  Yes,
> Google seems to work best, but its scary to me that they are completely
> privately held and basically accountable to no one.  Google is pretty
> much the opposite of Debian in that regard.  It would be great if there
> were publically maintained search engine, we need a free search engine
> that runs on free software.
>
> time to get off the soapbox... (this wasn't meant to be a personal
> attack at all, I am merely trying to spread the word).

This would be great but such a search engine would require at least
several hundred thousand dollars worth of equipment (I think google has
something like 10000 linux boxen), and some insane amount of bandwidth.
The software issue wouldn't be that big a problem.

Of course now that I think of it we could set up a p2p type indexing
system, kind of like giFT or kazaa but just for searching the web :)

Bijan
--
Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com>
http://www.crasseux.com