Keys don't type correct chars after kernel upgrade

I've just upgraded to 2.4.22-ben2 and all seems to be working fine at
the moment, other than the fact that when I startx and open an xterm,
none of my key strokes produce recognisable characters. This is not a
problem when I am working on the console, without starting X.

This wasn't an issue with the 2.4.19 kernel I have been using.

I am using XFree 4.2.1.1 on an ibook2 (+ blackbox).

Thanks for any help!
Rory

--
Rory Campbell-Lange