re:please explain to me

On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 12:56:11PM -0700, gm c wrote:
> example: for my powerbooks ethernet hardware- how do I know that it should
> be :
> alias eth0 gmac

Use this, because the device name is eth0. Though I prefer to use
discover, and just let it load the sungem driver at boot.
---Is discover the same as modconf???

> alias ethernet gmac

This will do nothing for you.

> The sound is the most confusing to me. Dmesg reports an Awacs/Screamer. I
> have seen in the mail list a dmasound_awacs but the only module in my
> kernel for powermac I find is a dmasound_pmac and dmasound_core. On the net
> I have seen how others have associated sound modules.
> example below:

The module name was dmasound_awacs, now it's dmasound_pmac, because
there got to be support for a lot more chips than just the AWACS.
dmasound_core provides some support routines for some other drivers that
drive sound chips that work like the AWACS family.

>  alias char-major-14 soundcore
>  alias sound-slot-0 dmasound_pmac

Don't bother with these.

>  alias char-major-14-3 dmasound_pmac

Just this one. (Unless you're using devfs.) Though I recommend just
/etc/modules.
---This is confusing to me,, I use usb which requires devfs but I use
the regular /dev/whatever...
>  alias /dev/dsp dmasound_pmac
>  alias sound-service-0-0 i2c-keywest
>  alias char-major-14-0 i2c-keywest
>  alias /dev/mixer i2c-keywest

Skip these, you don't need them.

> 1-- /dev/dsp is char-major-14-3 so why is it listed both ways??????????

Because the full device name is more applicable for devfs
configurations, where the device node doesn't exist yet, until the
driver itself loads.

> 2--Why is it nessary to list char-major-14 and char-major-14-3???????????

You don't need to specify both. It's broken down to that degree to allow
different drivers to be loaded for, say, the mixer, the PCM audio
output, the sequencer device...
--but I dont understand what driver associates with say, mixer, pcm audio
output, sequencer, sound card ...
How do I determine that??????????????????

> 3--How is it that sound-slot-0 and char-major-14-3 are associated to the
> same module????????

char-major-14-3 is generic, just determined by the major (and optional
minor) device number, and sound-slot-0 is how soundcore tries to load
(via kmod) the driver module.

> 4--How does one know that char-major-14 is associated to soundcore rather
> than dmasound_pmac or dmasound_core or something else?????????????????

Because char major 14 is reserved for sound devices?
Are not dmasound_pmac and dmasound_core both sound devices???

> 5--How do I know that I need i2c-keywest?????????????????????????????

For a Pismo, you don't. It's needed for PowerBook G4s and iBooks with
DACA, Tumbler/Texas, and Snapper audio chips, where the mixer control is
done via an I2C bus.

--
Derrik Pates
dpates@dsdk12.net