Playing multiple sound sources

Hi all,

I've seen something odd using my iBook 2.3 with Linux and MacOS X. Under
Apple's OS, I can play different sounds at the same time (e.g. a
Quicktime movie and some song in iTunes), but not under Linux.

I'm using 2.4.22-ben2 and I was wondering of this limitation was due to
the dma_sound module or a misconfiguration. I know sound servers like
esd or arts can do this kind of thing, but I'd like it to be possible
without using any of them. Perhaps MacOS X is using a sound server too,
actually.

But as I have no idea, any help or comment would be great :)

Regards.