Re: Liberated RS/6000

Iain Georgeson wrote:
Segher Boessenkool <segher@d12relay02.megacenter.de.ibm.com> writes:

The badge says "RISC System/6000 380"

This IBM system has a 59MHz POWER2 cpu.

One other question: This machine has nothing I recognise as a monitor
connector. It does has (left to right)

2 x 25 pin male D-types labelled S1 and S2
1 x funky contronics-style thingy labelled SCSI 2 SE
1 x BNC and 1 x AUI connector, on an expansion card.
4 x unused expansion slots
1 x 25 pin female D-type labelled P
1 x strange PS/2-sized 8-pin DIN labelled T
2 x PS/2 sockets labelled K and M

I can guess what all of them except the 'T' do. Might this be a
monitor connector? Or am I going to end up talking down the serial
port to it?

The "T" is a "Tablet", according to:
http://www1.ibmlink.ibm.com/cgi-bin/master?xh=NniKJBXlk8NSfe2USenGnN9332&request=salesmanual&parms=H%5F7012%2D380&xhi=salesmanual%5E&xfr=N

Here's the user manual:
http://www16.boulder.ibm.com/pseries/en_US/infocenter/base/hardware_docs/pdf/380544.pdf

There's nothing about the tablet (except where to find the connector) in the user manual, nor is there anything about using a monitor (I presume this is covered in the graphics adapter user manual or something).

It does mention serial terminal, though. The salesmanual claims it was equipped with a graphics adapter, but good luck finding one of those now ;-)

Maybe life with a bloody useless E15 graphics adapter in a PReP isn't so bad at all :-)

I still wish I could find a graphics card that was 1: supported by Linux/X without needing the onboard BIOS (only one I know of is the Voodoo3, which I accidentally have ;-) ) and 2: worked in the PCI slot of the PReP I have (the Voodoo3 fails this requirement :-( )

--
AmigaOne dev list FAQ (when I say F, I mean F):
http://www.samfundet.no/~olegil/amiga/