X behaviour

Since updating from woody to sarge X behaves funnily.  The highest
resoluton I can now get is 640x480.  In fact it's the only resolution I
can get.  If I change the default bitdepth in XF86Config-4 to 8, it
prints green splodges on the left half of the screen.

XFree86.log produces a whole lot of these errors:

FBIOPUTCMAP: Unknown error 999

Is this a known issue? More likely it is me doing something silly?

I'm running xserver-xfree86 4.2.1-11 and kernel version 2.4.22-ben2

Cheers...

--

Paul Talacko