Re: TiBook / Debian / X problems

On Sat, 2003-09-27 at 19:49, Nick Allen wrote:

> I'd read somewhere that in order to use X with my TiBook, I would have
> to use XFree86 4.2.0 because it's the only version with Radeon Mobility
> support.

I'm not sure 4.2 supported your chip.

>   The second method: Installing, apt-get'ing for updates, installing
> the new Kernel through rsync again, then using apt-get to install
> Michael Daenzer's updated x-windows-system-core and x-window-system
> packages;

For the record, I have never provided such packages.

> using apt again to install drm-trunk-module-src, x-server-xfree86-dri-trunk,
> and xlibmesa3-dri-trunk.  I ran dpkg a couple times, updated the
> modules a couple times,

The DRM is only needed for the DRI. You should worry about getting the X
server working at all first.

> and tried to "startx" again.  This time the screen actually did something
> different.  It displayed 8 black horizontal lines across the screen in
> front of what looked like white clouds turning into purple eventually
> turning into blue, a transition not unlike what you'd expect if you
> pushed your finger into an LCD panel.  The machine froze in that
> state.  I turned it off hard, only to have the end result be the same
> as the end result of Method 1.

It's hard to tell what's going on without at least seeing the X server
log and maybe the config file.

>   When the machine reboots I can't login.  I don't know where the
> interrupt sequence is to manually edit the runlevel, so I'm kinda
> screwed in that regard.

At the yaboot prompt, type

<label> single

to boot into single user mode. Press tab to see the list of available
labels.