playing mp3's from my mac on linux?

Hey folks,

running sid on a b&w g3...

I have several gigs of mp3's from my old mac on an hfsplus partition
of a firewire drive.  I made these files in MacOS 9.2, in the bad old
dazs when I didn't run linux at home.

Problem is, I can't get any of the GUI mp3 players to recognize these files as mp3's.  I know, for instance, that xmms, zinf, and alsaplayer all work fine on a test file I downloaded from my office computer.  Moreover, mpg123 will play any given file from the partition in question just fine, though it might complain about "junk at beginning of file".

How can I get, e.g., xmms, to work with these files?  anyone else seen this problem?

matt