Re: Installing Debian on iSeries

On Fri, 2003-09-26 at 11:35, Christian Lugo wrote:

> I read a post in a Debian PowerPC mailing list where you ask if the
> installation of Debian is possible.

I'm CCing the list so others can comment/benefit.

> I'm in the same situation now (wondering if it can be done :-), I read
> some post from people that actually have done it.

I too have found some posts.  I'm sure it's possible.  I get the
impression that it will require some manual work to get running today. I
don't think the stock PPC debian installer works on iSeries.

My impression is that we can get any stock powerpc distro to work as
long as we have an iSeries compatible kernel.  That is to say that
AFAIK, the only custom, iSeries-specific software we need should be the
kernel.

> And I will like to ask you some tips for the installation or where can I
> find more information.

I'm actually just on the cusp of working on this.  Just last week my
partners & I took the time to get an old copy of SuSE 7.1 running on our
development iSeries.  It works.  Within the next week or so, I expect to
attempt to port debootstrap and possibly debian-installer within this
SuSE system.

My goal will be to build a powerpc netinst image with an
iSeries-specific kernel.  Obviously, my hope is to improve Debian
installation on iSeries in general as opposed to just getting it to work
on this one system.

If your goal is to just get Debian on one system, I think you can get
away with using the SuSE boot media to bring up an initrd system and
manually perform the debian installer steps.

I'll let you know how I progress and I'd be happy to trade tips and
experiences.

good luck,

-joe
--